Time, Hobbies and Getting What You Need

Time is a funny thing isn’t? We never seem to have enough of it but are completely in control of how we spend our time.  I’m blessed and cursed at the same time because I have so many things I enjoy doing in this life and quite honestly there just isn’t enough time to do them all.

When I was in college I used to road bike all spring and summer.  I loved getting on the bike and riding for hours, exploring new roads and getting in some sunshine and fresh air.  I still have my bike and have been wanting to take it in to get tuned so I can start riding again.  But part of me wondered if it would be worth it, when would I ride?!

Then there are the list of races that go on and on that I want to train for and run.  The Marine Corp Marathon, the Nike Women’s Marathon, London and Berlin Marathons,  and so many more.  But committing to train for a marathon is just that, a commitment.  And right now it seems like I don’t have the time to train with the dedication I’d like to put into my next marathon.

And yoga? Oh yoga.  Luckily I teach every Tuesday and Thursday morning so I always seem to stay in touch with it and find my way to the mat.  But teaching is certainly not the same as practicing and it’s certainly not helping me strengthen my practice and move into the challenge poses I hope to some day attain.  And my home practice isn’t the same as getting to a studio and taking other teachers classes.  Yesterday I realized I hadn’t made it to a studio to take a class since March 25th.  Yes, you read that right.  March 25th.  It’s equal parts embarrassing and equal parts sad.  How could I go so long without doing something I love so much?!  And no wondering I’ve been wanting and needing to get to a class!  Saturday morning I’ll be getting to the studio I can assure you.

By now your probably wondering when I do the things I enjoy that don’t involve exercise. You know, the things like reading and cooking?  Yeah, I’ve been reading the same book since July.  Yes, July.  I read a page or two a day but I’m now determined to finish said book by this July.

The type A in me really wants to do ALL the things I love ALL the time and be really good at them but that is SO not realistic when I work full time in a demanding job, have a relationship, friends and family and a home that I’d like to keep clean.  I’ve learned  I’m learning to be a B+ kind of person and actually enjoy all of the things in this life that I love so much and accept that I don’t need to be great at everything I do.

Lately my runs have been for the fun of it, because getting out and running feels good.  It’s not about a race or a time or a specific workout.  It’s about moving my body, de-stressing, feeling the wind in my hair and enjoying something I love so much.  And maybe I haven’t been practicing yoga as much as I’d like but that’s ok.  What I have been giving to yoga is enough because I’m happy and content with my yoga practice right now. And that bike?  I think I am going to get it tuned up.  If I ride once or twice this summer and enjoy it…then it was all worth it.  That book?  I’ve been disconnecting to sit and read each night before bed.  It’s heavenly and it’s so nice…even if I read only 3 pages before falling asleep.

The funny thing about time and hobbies is that we always seem to get exactly what we need.  Sometimes that is working more and playing less, focusing more on family and hobbies less or sometimes it’s just doing a little bit of this and a little bit of that to keep you happy and interested in all the things you love.

How do you balance time and all the things you love to do?

10 thoughts on “Time, Hobbies and Getting What You Need

1. Mike says:

Considering we just had our first child nearly 2 months ago, there is not enough time in the day! It’s tough going to work all day, coming home to take the dogs out for a walk, figure out dinner, and of course give the baby some TLC! 🙂 I have to go to work during the week, so that’s an automatic 9-10 hours gone, then coming home till bed is usually family time (making dinner, taking the dogs out, hanging with my lil man and his beautiful mother). My days are definitely hectic, but the nights are what make it all worth it!

2. livingrunningcooking says:

Oh! I so feel you on this post! Making time for everything is so hard, especially when you are doing a lot of traveling. We are currently in the process of moving and it is all I can do to stay sane. I just try to workout when I can and not stress about missing a workout.

3. imarunner2012 says:

I have a stack of un-read magazines and I stay up late blogging and then watch my shows on DVR until way past my bed time. Me and coffee are buds.
    I’m just busy all the time. I have started trying to get my “to do list” knocked down Friday night and Saturday. On Sunday I run, run a race or putt in the back yard and drink beer.
    I have dinner with the family at least six nights a week. I’m not sure that is balance.
    I’ve cut back on the number of blogs I follow and I no longer feel compelled to read each one that I do follow. I need that time to write and to think. I also cut back on the shows I record.
    I would suggest prioritizing your activities and then to cut back on or cut out the activities that fall to the bottom of the list.

4. Monique @ burpeestobubbly.com says:

A friend send this post along to me because she and I, too, struggle with the “Type A” personality. I recently wrote a blog post(http://burpeestobubbly.com/2013/05/03/some-real-thoughtswords-for-a-friday/) on it, but yours is absolutely wonderful! I couldn’t agree with it more, especially this part: The type A in me really wants to do ALL the things I love ALL the time and be really good at them but that is SO not realistic when I work full time in a demanding job, have a relationship, friends and family and a home that I’d like to keep clean. I’ve learned I’m learning to be a B+ kind of person and actually enjoy all of the things in this life that I love so much and accept that I don’t need to be great at everything I do.
    Gosh can I relate to that!! Thank you for sharing your honesty! It’s always nice to find people to relate to:)

5. charlottepb says:

I have so many things I like to do, I could say I don’t have time for it all but I like to think my hobbies/crafts and sapre time manage themselves in seasons. So throughout the year I should have time to spend on all of my loves. x

6. Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog says:

This is so true, especially the first line you wrote. It’s funny how there’s never enough time, yet we are the ones who are choosing what to do with our time (most of it at least). It’s hard to fit everything in, but I think we just need to prioritize what’s the most important at each given moment.

7. Mary McManus says:

This is a topic I have been reflecting a lot on as of late as I fully embrace retirement. I am working on about time so this is a timely post. What a blessing that you are learning this golden lesson in your younger years.