Keep it Simple and Worry Less

Today was a doozy of a Monday.  It was just one of those days where my alarm went off and I wanted to stay curled in bed.  I skipped my run because I felt unmotivated and started the week off on the wrong foot.  By 11am my brand new dress shirt had ripped down the seam in the back when I picked up a box.  Like seriously ripped, from the shoulder down to the waist and shredded (embarrassing, much?).  From there it didn’t get much better until it did.

I spent most of the day feeling stressed, consumed by my thoughts and worry.  I worked myself up into a tizzy.  Honestly, I was annoying myself (and Michael, bless his heart) and couldn’t get out of my own way.  But then I forced myself to stop, to calm down and just deal with the day.  It wasn’t perfect, and certainly not how I like to start the week but it’s what it was.  And really, it wasn’t THAT bad.  My own thoughts were making it THAT bad.

When I finally got home and was changing into my comfy clothes and letting the day fall behind me I couldn’t help but realize that I’d wasted so much time and energy, worrying and stressing about things that ultimately didn’t matter.  I KNEW I’d work everything out it just wasn’t as convenient or simple as I’d hoped.

Ultimately, all that stress and worrying got me no where. So as we head into the week, keep it simple and worry less.

How do you keep it simple and worry less? How was your Monday?

Oh, and in case you were wondering…I went to the mall and bought a new shirt at lunch.  Problem Solved.

10 thoughts on “Keep it Simple and Worry Less

1. Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog says:

Lots of deep breaths. Good for you to turn to the power of positive thinking. I always need to remember that thoughts control so much more of my mood than the outside actions that happen to me. Here’s to less worry and stress and more laughing and dancing through the rain.

2. Leigha says:

Good post! We choose our feelings… we can change them if we really want to. Look at the bright side of things! I need to follow my own advice… lol! Love that quote.

3. Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily says:

Just what I needed to read! My weekend was a ball of stress with car issues and wondering what was going to happen, I had myself SO worked up last night that my head was pounding and I couldn’t even think straight. Woke up today with much more clarity and knowing that everything WILL work out and unfortunately I have no control over a lot of car issues and what may or may not happen.

It’s so funny right. I could have written that post and basically said, insert your issue here. But ultimately it all comes back to staying calm, stressing and worrying less. We definitely can’t control life.

4. Jolene says:

UGH! what a craptastic day! WTF about the shirt too!! how awful!! I hate days like that and we all have them, the trick really is what you just did – turned it around, saw the perspective, and in a way, laughed at it. Hope today is better!!!!

I was pissed! My boss was like…um Whitney your shirt is completely ripped in the back. Thank god I wore a tank under it otherwise my bra would have been hanging out! I bought a new shirt at lunch and it all ended well!

I hate those ‘can’t get out of my own way’ head case moments — when you KNOW you are stealing the joy right out of the day for yourself but you simply can’t rip yourself out of that downward spiral. SO frustrating. But honestly, I think these ‘head case moments’ happen as a means to teach us something about ourselves — in this case, to learn to not sweat the small stuff so much, you know?
    ps. um I’d be pissed (and embarrassed) if my new shirt ripped at work! what did you do the rest of the day??

Exactly. It was just me working myself up over nothing really! I ended up going to get a new shirt to wear at lunch. I took the ripped one back today and got my money back! It all worked out! 🙂