BAA Half Training: Long Runs and Pace

Can you believe the BAA half marathon is less than a month away?!  Seriously, it seems like just yesterday I signed up for the race and was creating my training plan.  Where does time go?  Training for this race has been a completely different experience than before.  When I created the plan I was concerned about how it would all fit in with yoga teacher training but so far this really hasn’t been a problem.

At first I definitely missed a lot of my planned runs.  During my 9 day intensive for yoga teacher training I didn’t run once and I skipped the long run I had scheduled before that started in favor of some extra rest…needless to say training was not off to a great start.  In the weeks since then I’ve kicked it in to gear and have gotten in a few good long runs.  Now, I’m above the long run mileage I actually planned to be at, which is awesome if you ask me.  I managed to get in a 6 miler, two 9 milers and as of yesterday an 11 miler.

On Labor Day my friend Lauren, her husband, sister and I took on 9 miles.  We ran in Gloucester, MA along the ocean with the views of the gorgeous beach homes.  It was such a nice change of scenery.  It was nice to just chat it up and run.

9 Miles in Gloucester

Yesterday I ran 11 miles by myself on what was a gorgeous morning to run.  It was nice and cool with overcast skies.  I found my groove early on and the miles just ticked on by.

11 Mile Long Run

My pace has been kind of slow for me lately.  The other night I was telling Michael about this; he asked me if my runs felt good and I told him they feel great- relaxed, easy and peaceful.  Then he asked me if I’m enjoying them and having fun.  I am, a lot actually.  Then he simply said, who cares.  He’s so right, who does care?  No one but myself and even I don’t care! I’m loving yoga lately, my practice and this journey is like nothing else.  I love just going for a run because I love it.  Training for this half-marathon is just enough to help motivate me to keep my mileage high, get my long runs in and let me enjoy the fall running and racing I love so much.  For so long (like the past year) all I’ve worried about was long runs, pace and training plans but now it feels so good to be thinking about yoga poses, playlists and which arm balance I want to tackle next.

I haven’t done one speed workout the entire training cycle which is likely contributing to my slower than normal pace.  In the next few weeks I plan to add some speed to my runs.  I can’t bring myself to hit the track so I plan to do fartleks within a 4 mile run a few times over the next few weeks.  Maybe, if and only if, I feel motivated will I do a tempo run.  I’m kind of hoping the motivation hits me, so that is a good sign that a tempo run will likely happen.  As for long runs, I have a 12 miler planned in a couple of weeks and hope to sneak in a couple more 8 milers after work before now and the taper.

My goals for this race? I’m thinking I might just run this one for fun.  No time or pace goals.  Just a good, solid, fun 13.1 miles.  Wouldn’t that be a nice change?!  I feel like I’m in a really good place with yoga and running lately.  I’m enjoying each for different reasons and it’s nice for running to be in the backseat for a change.  There’s no pressure from myself to be anything or do anything when it comes to running and that feels awesome.  I’m just running purely because I love it!

How’s your fall race training going? Has your pace been fast or slow? What are your fall race goals?

14 thoughts on “BAA Half Training: Long Runs and Pace

1. jobo says:

run for fun, run for fun! Yes! I always try to make them fun, rather than pressure myself too much with pace and such. It sounds like you are in such a good happy medium with your runs and your YTT! I love this combo and can’t believe your race is that close too!

2. Marta says:

Trained for my first 1/2 marathon during freezing cold winter (not usual in the Czech Republic, at least during the past 3 years) and consequently had to do all my long runs on a treadmill. You can imagine how that “adds” to the overall enjoyment of running. But I managed and enjoyed the actual race even more – to make up for all those hours in the gym 🙂
    I agree that unless you are a pro, your main objective should be just to do it for yourself and enjoy it. And surprisingly, once you stop worrying, the times and distance get better 🙂
    Good luck with your training!

3. Click. The Good News says:

I’m training for NYC & all is well- excited to get a nice break from the insane heat of Houston summers. Felt great after 17 miles, still need to do 18 & 21 miles. Really time to buckle down on the treadmill & get ready for some hills too. Otherwise- I’m pumped!

4. Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog says:

Sounds like you are in a really great place with your running right now. I remember when I trained for my first half, my friend told me to always make sure I was enjoying my runs or training would become more of a chore than anything. I think this is great advice – while it is important to push ourselves at times, we need to find enjoyment and fulfillment in our activity as well.

I love the advice your friend gave you. It’s what I always tell people about their first races. After running so many marathons and half-marathons it is nice to step back and just run for the fun of it again and not worry about pace!

This is exactly how I approach running no matter if I’m in training or not — I run for me first and foremost, and I always run as happy as I can, regardless of pace, distance, time, etc. I never want to steal the joy that running brings me by putting too many rules and numbers around it. I know that’s so ANTI for most runners, but it’s what works for me. I’ll never be a super serious runner or some crazy Olympian runner so why bother with all the rules, right? Just run, run for you, run because you love it. SO loving where your head is at these days too!!