Happy Tuesday! I love starting my week off on a Tuesday! Three day weekends are really the best. We had a fun but very productive weekend. Saturday we visited our friends and helped them to build a chicken coop. We all headed out to dinner by the ocean and then ended up dancing at this bar playing awesome 90’s music! So impromptu and fun! Sunday we spent the day at home ripping up carpet and rearranging furniture before closing out the day with Mexican food and margaritas with Michael’s parents on the patio. Yesterday was more puttering around the house, moving furniture and the like. I did manage to get to Lowe’s and get lots of fresh herbs for us to grow. I planted us some basil, flat-leaf parsley, cilantro, rosemary, dill and lemon balm. We decided to get out and have a little fun late afternoon on Monday. We drove to Marblehead, Ma and walked around for a while looking in all the little boutiques and sitting by the harbor. We had an early dinner before driving the neck of Marblehead. I’d never been out there so it was awesome to see all of the amazing homes along the water and check out a few of the secluded rocky beaches. We had so much we wanted to accomplish over the weekend I didn’t even get to workout! I did learn two things this weekend:
- Building, ripping up carpet, moving furniture, planting flowers and most home improvement projects are a workout! Your lifting weight, on your feet and breaking a sweat for hours. I was exhausted by days end.
- It’s so easy to plant herbs to have on hand for cooking at home! For just a few dollars you can buy a whole basil plant and have fresh basil all summer long! In my apartment in Boston I had a window box and was able to plant basil and other herbs for cooking. This year I’m trying tomato plants!
Last week’s workouts were good but it wasn’t the most productive week. I had a few commitments at night which didn’t leave me with time at night or feeling motivated to get up at 5am. At first I was a little upset with my lack of workouts but then I reminded myself that this is the time to do the other things I need to do, enjoy time with my friends and the like. Workouts will be there.
It’s been about 2 weeks since I started cutting back on carbohydrates and focusing on portion control. I also cut back on sweets and started making smarter choices. So far I’ve lost 2 pounds and am almost back at my marathon weight. I feel much better and at this point making these choices is pretty easy. I’m realizing I am just as satisfied with a smaller portion versus a larger portion particularly with sweets and less healthy foods. I’m going to continue with this plan and hope to lose a few more pounds!
Long weekend’s tend to throw off my routine and usually involve more drinking and eating than normal. This week I want to get back on track with the following goals:
- Run! I haven’t run in a week so I plan to get out tonight for a few miles and hope to do this again on Thursday and Saturday.
- Drink lots of water! We worked outside all weekend and I feel like I didn’t drink enough water. This week I need to focus on drinking more water and replenishing.
- Skip the sweets this week! I had a few extra treats this weekend so I want to skip them this week. It’s all about moderation!