Wednesday morning I taught my very own yoga class. Next week I’ll be teaching it again, and the week after that, and after that and well you get the idea. It’s my class to teach each week!
I was pretty nervous about teaching on Wednesday. It was the first time I’ve taught since teacher training ended in January and only the second time I’ve taught an hour and 15 minute class. I was afraid no one would come, that I’d mess up, that it wouldn’t be my best class and so much more.
Truth is I did mess up and it wasn’t my best class. People did come, in fact two of the girls from the Athleta Burlington store where I am sponsored athlete came to surprise me! And you know what? I loved every second of teaching, learned so much and I can’t wait to teach again.
I thought I’d share some of my thoughts and reflections…
- I did mess up, but you know what? Only I knew that. I completely forgot Sun C’s. Literally, could not tell them what to do. I fumbled my way through a combo Sun A/Sun C type salutation, brought them back to the front of the mat and just did a few more Sun A’s. No one knew, and they all still raved about my class at the end. And I remembered Sun C’s clear as day about half way through the practice. Nervous, much?
- I struggled to mirror…you know when I say right but do left?! I can barely keep my lefts and rights straight at 5pm let alone at 6:30am. I know I did it wrong, and even did a little dance shifting between right and left legs when their backs were to me. Nobody knew. I did learn that I need to always wear a ring only on one hand to help me identify left and right quickly. And I learned another good trick to help me mirror…put an R in the left hand corner of my mat and a L in the right hand corner of my mat. LOVE that.
- I learned that planning a class when you know you have week after week ahead of you is so fun! You can pick a theme and run with it. And if you are like me think of a million good ideas while you are writing the sequence, you can just jot them down and use them the next week.
- Planing a playlist is just as fun…I made a great playlist and then just changed it up slightly for next week! And to think, I’ll actually get to use all those awesome yoga songs at some point?! So fun!
- I realized that next week, I want to find a reading to use in savasana because I just LOVE when the reading speaks to me and I want my students to experience that.
- It feels incredible to lead a class through a practice you love, to share poses you love and sequences you love and see your students enjoy it as much as you do.
- And lastly, it’s just down right cool to finally get paid to do something you love! Sorry…I couldn’t resist. It was the first time I made money as a yoga teacher!
The biggest take away for me really was to get this first class under my belt. I proved to myself that I can be a great yoga teacher and that I do know so much and it has a way of flowing out when I teach. Wednesday’s class gave me confidence, which is exactly what I needed as yoga teacher.